Monday, December 9, 2013

The 4th Return of Domonic

On Tuesday, Sister Devenport and I had just gotten out of a lesson and were heading home for the night when our phone lit up with a message from Domonic. If you don't remember, we were teaching him about a month earlier (after dropping him several times) where he seemed very open to what we had to say. Well, he became contentious (again) and began to tell us (again) that we needed to just rely on the Bible and forget about the Book of Mormon. So we dropped him (again) for the 3rd time. 
Needless to say, a text message from him was the last thing we expected. What he said was even more unexpected though. He asked us, "Will becoming a Mormon and being part of the church help me achieve what I want to become?"
We got soooo excited - my voice went up several octaves and Sister Devenport just sat there, eyes wide. I had to pull over because I was just so happy over the text message! After about 5 minutes of celebrating the text message, we realized that we still had to answer him. So we, of course, said that it would help him become who he wanted to be and asked when he could meet!
Because of Domonic's hectic work schedule, we weren't able to meet until that Thursday. That lesson was THE best lesson I've ever had with him. He was so open and willing to listen to what we had to say. He sat there earnestly nodding his head and actually agreeing with us! Domonic even contributed to the lesson and didn't try to trip us up! I've never seen him so excited and willing to learn. We talked a lot about Christlike attributes and how the Church can help him become more like Christ and eventually stand in his presence. I've never seen someone light up so much at the mere thought of seeing their Saviour once more.
He came to church on Sunday and seemed so happy to be there. He earnestly set up another appointment with us for today and I cannot wait to teach him again! It's amazing to see the change in him once more and see how he has become more open - more so than he's ever been before. That's the amazing part about serving in this Gospel - I get the front row seat to watching it change lives and change people. I cannot wait for the day to watch Domonic descend into the waters of baptism and make his first covenant with the Lord. There's nothing more amazing.

Saturday was another special treat for all of us missionaries. Elder Zwick, from the quorum of the seventy, came to instruct us missionaries on how we can become better teachers. It was enthralling to listen to him and learn from his experiences in missionary work. One of the best parts of the evening was when he had the ward counsels come in from the stake and instructed them on how to be member missionaries - something we've all been waiting for. What effected me most was when he said, "Don't limit yourself by what you think is your capacity. The Lord can expand your capacity - and He will." I thought that was so insightful because I know for myself that I often tell myself, "I can't do this or that," and I let it stop me from becoming who I was meant to be. 
Another amazing part of the evening was when he announced that iPad minis and online proselyting will be arriving to our mission in a few short months! The buzz around the missionaries was indescribable - I'm so excited to be able to better serve the people of Mississippi through technology!

Sunday was pretty.... crazy as well. One of the speakers for Sunday ended up not coming.  When Bishop Grover got up onto the stand to announce the talks, he said, "Bob Davis will be speaking and right afterward, Sister Durrant will be giving a talk. I ask her to use D&C 138:56 in the talk and mention our pre-mortal existence. After that, I ask her to talk a little bit about what Elder Zwick talked about on Saturday and elaborate with her own personal experiences and thoughts. After her, we will hear a talk from the high counselor, Brother Study." My jaw just dropped and I was pretty sure I looked completely dumb struck. The Bishop just told me, from the pulpit, that I was going to give a talk in about 15 minutes. I had no idea that I was going to give a talk until that second! The worst part was when Brother Davis only took about TWO minutes for his talk - so I had absolutely no preparation. I got up to the stand, cracked a few jokes, and somehow managed to give a 20 minute talk on santification and who we were in the pre-mortal existence. I have no idea how I did it nor what I said. Somehow, I gave the longest talk in sacrament meeting that day - and I was the one who had no idea what I was saying!

Needless to say, mission life is fantastic. I love getting to share the gospel and I love being able to completely immerse myself in it. There's nothing more special. There's nothing else I'd rather be doing.

On a completely unrelated note - I keep seeing all of these signs all over the town, saying "What does the fox say?!" WHAT IS GOING ON???? WHAT ON EARTH DOES THE FOX SAY??? I'M SO CONFUSED. Anyone know? Please oh please tell me.

--
All my love,

Sister Sarah Michéle Durrant

No comments:

Post a Comment