Monday, November 4, 2013

Another week has come and gone, another transfer ended and with that - a fourth of my mission has now passed by in what seems like a blink of an eye. It's strange to look back and reflect on how far I've come since stepping into the MTC five months ago. I don't even recognize that girl anymore, yet it feels as if it was only yesterday when I said goodbye to my family.
The day before Halloween night, we obtained permission from President McDonough to attend the ward Trunk-or-Treat. As a mission rule, we aren't allowed to really change our appearance for Halloween. Since I was really looking forward to dressing up for the occasion, we found a very creative way around the rule. Sister Devenport and I put on white shirts, black shirts and tied scarves around our necks. Then, we put our hair up and taped "Elder Mobley" and "Elder Martin" over our name tags and pretended to be the elders for Halloween! It was so much fun - the Elders put on their superhero masks while the other Sisters dressed up as women from the 60s. John's family and Evan's family both came and attended the Trunk-or-Treat and I was thrilled to see the members lovingly approach them and welcome them. 

Halloween day, not much happened. I believe it was because everyone was preparing for the festivities of that night. We, on the other hand, were confined to our apartment Halloween night. Yet, in a surge of brilliance, the other sisters in our district proposed that we stay the night at their apartment. So we headed over around 5:30 and spent the night with Sisters Keyes and Harr cooking pumpkin bars, playing Scattergories, and just talking and getting to know each other better. It was really quite lovely to have a girls' night for the first time in a very, very long time. Luckily, almost no trick-or-treaters stopped by our apartment (since we had no candy) and we were able to sleep soundly that night. 

The day after Halloween though was the best day of the week. After waking up from our sleepover and making the long drive out to Slidell for our interviews with the President, we received the glorious news that both Sister Devenport and I would remain in Pass Christian for the next 6 weeks! On top of that, Sister Harr and Sister Keyes were remaining in the area as well - but being put into a trio. Elder Mobley is the only person to leave the district though. It's hard to see him leave because he's been with me ever since I came out - almost 5 months serving together. We even sat next to each other in the MTC!
Once interviews ended, we drove out to Diamondhead and helped build a playground - kind of. Most of the work had already been done earlier that day and all they needed was some people to help shovel mulch and dirt. So, of course, we spent the next two hours shoveling in the hot sun. By the end, I was completely exhausted and ready to go to bed. Yet, there was still work to be done! Earlier that week, we arraigned to have dinner with John's family and the Turfitts (our ward mission leader and his wife). 
We left the playground construction to go prepare to this dinner - mentally, spiritually, and physically. In the end though, we didn't get a chance to teach John at dinner or after and it turned out to just be a great opportunity to get to know him and his family better. We walked away beaming though and with an appointment to teach on Wednesday. I can just feel that he's getting so very close to gaining a testimony of this church. We just need that last push!

And... that's really all that happened this week. Everyone was extremely busy getting ready for Halloween!

I love this work and I love my Lord! I'm so grateful for the chance to serve Him in the short time I've been granted. Even though it's passing so fast, I know that I'm here for a reason. I haven't been called to a place, I've been called to serve in place of Christ. That's what's so great about this work - it isn't for you. You don't matter at all in it. It's all about bringing others to Christ and serving them.

--
All my love,

Sister Sarah Michéle Durrant

No comments:

Post a Comment